The Data Driven Innovation (DDI) Incubation Centre is a newly established Incubation Centre in the Sub Saharan Africa (SSA) Region. The Centre is hosted by the Nelson Mandela African Institution of Science and Technology (NM-AIST) based in Arusha Tanzania through the African Centre for Research, Agricultural Advancement, Teaching Excellence and Sustainability (CREATES) which is based at NM-AIST. The DDI Incubation Centre is one of the four Regional Incubators started and supported by the Inter Universities Council for East Africa (IUCEA) with grants from the World Bank.
The Centre invited expressions of interest from potential innovators from NM-AIST who have ideas, prototypes or products to apply for participating in the DDI incubation programme. This was advertised in the NM-AIST website www.nm-ast.ac.tz and CREATES website www.creates-nm-aist.ac.tz and the deadline was 30th January 2020.
We received ten applications and the interview was conducted on 20th February 2020 at NM-AIST. The members of the screening and selection committee were:
- Kelvin Mtei – NM-AIST – Acting DVC-ARI- Chairperson
- Ernest Mbega- NM-AIST- Acting Dean- LiSBE
- Askwar Hilonga- NM-AIST-Lecturer
- Hulda Swai- CREATES Centre Leader
- Anna Treydte – Create Deputy Centre Leader- Secretary
- Jacqueline Mkindi- Director- Tanzania Horticulture Association
- John Kyaruzi- Southern Agriculture Growth Corridor of Tanzania (SAGCOT)
- Zaipuna Yonah- ICT consultant
- Mathew Ngwahi- Director – Litenga Holdings
We are happy to announce the six selected candidates: Never Zekeya, Angela Mkindi, Geofrey Raymond, Christina Charles, Shakila Mshana and Michael Hudson.
The selected candidates will be sponsored by the DDI project, by receiving the following benefits:
- Mentorship and guidance
- Incubation infrastructures
- Assistance in the commercialization of their products including registration, marketing branding and business skills.
DDI project management team congratulates the selected participants and look forward to seeing their full participation in the project.